Monday, May 27, 2013

Joining Mr. Lincoln's Army

What was it, the early 90’s when I saw my first Civil War reenactment?  Must have been the very early 90’s; maybe the late 80’s.  That's it; 1989.  When I heard that such things existed I thought, my God, where have they been all my life.  I’d gone through nearly 40 years and missed these things?

The National Civil War Association held the event on Memorial Day weekend near Felton in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Revisiting 1863 in the hills that look down on the Silicon Valley.  There was some irony.  As we approached the site we were met by a sentry in the woolen blue of a Union infantryman.  Oh my, I thought, what a wonderful place!  I'd found a history buff's nirvana.


We strolled the grounds gawking at “soldiers” in blue and gray, civilians in the period dress of Victorian America, cavalry horses and artillery horses pulling cannon.  In front of a small railway station Abe Lincoln himself inspected his Army of the Potomac.


Between the rival camps we found a place to throw down a blanket at the edge of a large field bisected by a rail fence (common in the 1860s); cannons at each end, facing each other. I explained to my family that we were not unlike the civilians of 1861 from Washington City (What present day Washington DC was then called) who thought that taking in a little battle would be great entertainment and so showed up at the First Battle of Bull Run as if it were a local theater presentation.  When the Rebel army routed the Union the picnickers, sensing disaster, ran for the hills along with the bluecoats.  We waited in anticipation for our own Bull Run to begin as artillerymen loaded their cannons.  More or less oblivious to the preparations and I suppose expecting some sort of announcement we jumped out of our skins when a series of cannon reports thundered through the little field.  There was an exchange of cannon fire and then the two armies fought for possession of the rail fence.  Cavalry galloped on to the field from both sides exchanging small arms fire and clashing sabers.  Union cannons were hooked to teams of horses and repositioned on the field.  It was a cacophony of booms, small arms crackle, shouted orders, hoof beats, neighing horses and yes car alarms; dozens and dozens of car alarms, most of which went off with the first cannon shot.  The two sides fought back and forth alternately gaining and losing ground until a victor was determined.







Following the battle we toured the camps of both sides.  Some of the reenactors acted as if we and the other visitors were not even there and carried on their period banter and activities; playing cards, playing period musical instruments or carrying out camp duties. Some of the soldiers offered up opinions about Mr. Lincoln which varied depending on which camp we were in (some things never change).  Others soldiers recognized our presence but acted as if we too were of the 19th century.  One shocked corporal seeing a female spectator in shorts hurriedly offered her a blanket to cover her exposed legs (remember, this was Victorian America).  Being a modest Victorian gentleman he shaded his eyes so as not to see the woman’s legs.  Other reenactors gave informative talks to small knots of spectators; explaining equipment, tactics and daily life in Civil War America.  I found, like many others in attendance that the camps were much more interesting than the battles. 









And so the bait was taken and the hook was set.  This was something that I had to do.  There was one small problem; money.  This is not a cheap hobby and since our family is not the U.S. Government our finances didn’t allow for a military budget.  My military career would have to wait.  It wasn’t until a few years later when I got a slightly better paying situation that I announced to the family that I would be joining the army; Lincoln’s Army of the Potomac.  We went to another reenactment, this time with the express purpose of getting me signed up.    

The National Civil War Association comprises a number of units that make up three brigades; Union, Confederate and Civilian.  The first decision was which side to join; Union or Confederate.  That was an easy decision, so on this day we carefully toured the Union camp.  There was the First U.S. Sharpshooters also known as The Berdans after their commander, William Berdan.  These fellows actually wore green jackets.  What about the 69th New York?  Irishmen who were part of the famous Irish Brigade that carried the handsome green battle flag adorned with a golden harp. The 3rd U.S. Artillery?  Hmmm.  I asked Cora what unit she thought I should join and she responded, “I don’t know about these things.  It’s your hobby.”  We continued to the Second Massachusetts Cavalry.  These old boys had short blue jackets trimmed in yellow as opposed to the plain infantry frock coats.  Unlike the others, they wielded sabers and wore revolvers on their hips.  And those weren’t muskets they carried.  They were short carbines that they carried slung over their backs.  Lots of leather too.  They had a certain dash about them.  Of course they did.  They were cavalrymen.  This was the unit for me.  It occurs to me these many years later that I was no different from a young man of the 1860’s caught up in the fancy, glorious looking trappings of the uniform.  In fact isn't that what often compels men of every generation throughout history to put on a uniform and carry a gun.  I’d not even joined and I was already living the history of young men throughout the ages.

After paying two sets of dues; one for The National Civil War Association and one for my new unit, the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry it was time to go shopping.  Shopping is done at the sutler’s over at the civilian town.  Civilian town is a small amalgam of tents, some belonging to reenactors,  while many belong to the sutlers.  In The Civil War, sutlers were civilian merchants who followed the armies and sold non-military goods to soldiers out of their temporary tents.  With the scarcity of government coin soldiers often paid with privately minted coins called tokens.  Much like their authentic predecessors modern sutlers follow reenacting groups to various venues and sell their wares, including all of the period uniforms and equipment out of temporary tents.  The only tokens that modern day sutlers accept are plastic and are embossed with multi-digit numbers and bear the names, Visa, Master Card or American Express.  Any attempts to use privately minted money usually results in a visit from the FBI.

I was accompanied to the sutler by a 2nd Mass. sergeant who had no trouble spending my money.  It quickly became apparent that not only had I joined the unit with the most dash, I’d joined the one requiring the most cash.  I don’t recall the exact amount I paid back in the 90’s but today’s receipt would look something like this.
                Shell jacket:  $259.00
                Trousers: $199.00
                Gauntets: $45.00
                Forage cap: 65.00
                .54 caliber Sharps carbine: $1059.00
                Cavalry sling for the carbine: $40.00
                .44 caliber Colt revolver: $400.00
                Holster for revolver: $42.50
                Belt: $69.95
                Cartridge box: $40.00
                Percussion cap box: $21.95
                Saber: $125.00
                Cavalry boots: $175.00
                Tent: 75.00

                Wife that would let me drop this kind of money on a new hobby: Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing your outfit during a reenactment at the Felton site. That situation at First Bull Run has always made me think on how stupid those people were who showed up to observe the battle as though it were a grand spectacle suitable for a picnic. I like the final line about a wife who doesn't have a problem with her husband spending that amount of money on a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, I'm not so sure that she didn't have a problem. I suppose that she gave her blessing on joining before either of us imagined the costs would be so steep. As the equipment piled up I recall her saying something along the lines of, "Well if you need it, you need it." At some point she may have pulled out the rosary beads to pray for a stop in the accumulation of both equipment and debt.
      On the bright side I didn't buy a cannon.

      Delete