Monday, March 9, 2015

Evacuating Suburbia

Throw out them LA papers
And that moldy box of vanilla wafers.
Adios to all this concrete.
Gonna get me some dirt road back street
~  From L.A. Freeway, Lyrics by Guy Clark

“Concrete and cars are their own prison bars”
~ From Toes, Written by Zac Brown, John Driskell Hopkins, Shawn Mullins and Wyatt Durette

Retirement talk has been revolving around the domestic circle a lot lately.  Mine, not the wife’s.  You see she’s been retired and according to her it’s the shit (that’s urban slang for she likes it).  I know this because she tells me it’s the shit all the time, quite often after I've dragged my worn out bones into the house after a day at the office and an hour on the freeway with a few thousand of my fellow Americans feeling like shit; about 10 pounds of it in a 5 pound sack (which is old school for suburbia blows).  



There was a time when I figured I wouldn't retire; just drop dead at my desk.  Nowadays there are times when I feel like I’d rather die instead of going into the office.  So now the wife and I are kicking around some options.  I could pull the plug in October when I turn 62.  Problem is that I’d have to bridge the health care gap until I turn 65 and with the GOP controlling congress and possibly the White House in 2016 Obamacare might get euthanized and I’ll end up self-medicating.

I would feel a lot more secure bridging that gap with some extra cash.  To that end we've talked about exchanging our four bedrooms and a pool for two bedrooms.  And it’s here where the rock meets the hard place.  For years now I've been lobbying for pulling up stakes and heading for a home in the country, taking with us a brimming bank account of security.  I’d have better luck ordering a veggie burger at a cattlemen’s convention.  The wife simply isn't having it.  She’s planted roots so deep here that there’s a fellow in China wondering what the hell that is growing up through his floor.  She’s got no desire for the country and no intention of leaving the San Francisco Bay Area. 

I've tried; Lord I've tried, to find some middle ground.  I began with Idaho and Wyoming, which wasn't really middle ground but a starting point for the negotiation (You know, like low balling the car dealer). And who knows, in a moment of weakness she might have said, “Okay, I’d love to live in Pinedale, Wyoming.”  Yeah she laughed that one off alright.  Then I reeled it in a bit to Oregon.  Then it was Oregon a few miles out of say, Roseburg; a sort of suburbia in miniature.  Then it was someplace rural in California.  Well that turns out to be pretty much impossible because unless you buy waterfront property at the desolate, godforsaken Salton Sea you aren't getting any money out of the home sale.  The whole fucking state is ridiculously expensive.  Every argument and persuasion I've thrown at the woman, she hits back at me like a line drive shot up the middle. The wife has made one concession summed up by her now rote reply, “Well, go ahead.  I can visit you.”



I've lived in the Bay Area since my parents moved us out here from Salt Lake City when I was three.  I grew up in suburban San Mateo, about a half hour south of San Francisco.  Three separate times I've lived in San Francisco itself and after getting married my bride and I lived in Berkeley a few blocks from Telegraph Avenue in the shadow of the University of California.  Now I live in what can best be described as a bedroom community about 25 miles from Downtown San Francisco on the often clogged I-80 corridor.  And I’m about over it.  Its reached the point at which every day, urban living seems to bleed off a little more sanity and patience with what we laughably call civilization.  The Bay Area has become a big overpriced condominium that houses stress, depravity, narcissism, rampant consumerism and a whole host of other depressing isms.

The Bay Area likes to bask in its reputation of being chic, urbane and cultivated and all the while being diverse. What I see in that self-adoration is an outright canard – a lie, a prevarication.  Or is it just me?  Maybe the Bay Area is all of those things it claims to be but I’m not seeing it.  

It might be the Googlers and other techies that seem to be gentrifying the whole area, not giving a shit that the people who serve them their meals, clean their offices or teach their kids are in poverty or at it's very brink. It might be the hipster whose main concern in life is the next big thing. Maybe it’s the young exec sitting on a BART train with his head buried in The Wall Street Journal, pretending not to notice the woman standing next to him, clearly pregnant and ready to pop.  Or it could be Mr. Slick who I’m watching as I write this.  He’s pulled into the handicapped spot and he and his equally slick chickie are heading into Starbucks for coffee.  Tough shit for the old fellow with the hip problem who is going to have to park down the street and hoof it.  You snooze, you lose; right? Or it might be the people who go to Delores Park, a crown jewel of San Francisco, to drink and smoke weed and really not give a shit about the young families with small children who would like to enjoy the park as well free from a contact high.  Oh and when they leave the park, they leave it a blighted littered disgrace.  These aren't isolated events in urban America; it’s the norm. There’s a feeling of entitlement that people get to do whatever the fuck they want to do and then let someone else clean up whatever mess they've left; whether it’s garbage, the dent in your car or the aggravation and anger for that insult they just blithely tossed out.  Rudeness has become the norm whether it’s a 12 year old mouthing off to an adult or a driver who cuts you off in traffic so that he can beat you to the stop sign that’s 20 yards up the road.  Urban America is a place where the ends justify the means; just get it done and I don’t care how you do it.  Character, morality and ethics are out of fashion; quaint, inconvenient relics from some bygone era that their grandparents (or old fools like me) talk whimsically about.  Time isn't on your side in urban America.  Time is a bandit.  If you don’t get out of the house ON time you LOSE time, sitting with thousands of fuming motorists on a trip to nowhere on what’s ironically and ridiculously termed a freeway.  And if you don’t get that project done on time, that bandit could steal your job because if you can’t get it done then we can find somebody who will.  Oh and did I say I don’t care how you get it done?

But it isn't just the renunciation of values and ersatz sophistication.  There’s the tawdriness that belies elegance. This occurred to me when I was sitting at an interminable traffic light at Fitzgerald Avenue in nearby Pinole.  Fitzgerald is I’m sure a bonanza for the town.  But it’s quite simply a vulgarity.  If I’d decided to step out of my car, baseball in hand, I could have flung that ball and hit any one of, Burger King, Wing Stop, Wendy’s, Carl’s Jr. KFC, Starbucks, Sizzler, Taco Bell and Home Town Buffet.  And intermingled with plastic food are the boxes, both big and little that peddle things that you might need but really probably don’t; the technological gimcracks and gewgaws that fuel an insatiable frenzy of spending.  And there are hundreds and hundreds of strip malls just like this from Pinole to Berkeley to Oakland all the way to San Jose. Miles and miles of fat vats and purveyors of useless junk that has a practical life of a year or so and a residual life of decades.

In his novel So Much for That, Lionel Shriver hits metropolitan America on the head; "There's something especially terrible about being told over and over that you have the most wonderful life on earth and it doesn't get any better and it's still shit. This is supposed to be the greatest country in the world, but...it's a sell...I must have forty different 'passwords' for banking and telephone and credit card and Internet accounts, and forty different account numbers, and you add them up and that's our lives. And it's all ugly, physically ugly. The strip malls...the Kmarts and Wal-Marts and Home Depots...all plastic and chrome with blaring, clashing colors, and everyone in a hurry, to do what?" 

I've been warned.  You won’t like country life.  Their politics are different and what in the hell will you find to do.  Politics?  How in the hell more fucked up can they be in rural America than metropolitan America?  It’s a fucking free for all food fight all over the country.  Months ago I made the conscious decision to keep politics to myself and let the other guy keep his own politics. I've long since stepped off my liberal soapbox and cut it up for kindling.  Who in the hell was I going to change anyway?  This is America and you’re free to believe what you want and I've given up preaching the gospel to people as hard headed as I. 

As far as what to do?  I can give up a dry aged steak for a chicken fried steak.  I've no problem saving a hundred bucks and trading a day of Giants baseball for spending five bucks for a hot dog and a Coke at a local little league game. I don’t need to go to the latest trendy restaurant.  I don’t need to go to a club.  I don’t need to see the art exhibit that everyone else needs to be seen at.  Art galleries give me a headache anyway.  Frankly I’d rather ride a horse than a cable car or hike a mountain trail than stroll around Union Square.  I’d much rather sit beside a riffle on a trout stream waiting for the fish to bite than sit on I-80 in my car waiting for the accident to clear. 

The wife and I have a sort of running dialog.  It often starts with a story on the news.  It might be the motorcyclists who shut down a section of freeway on their own, because they can, so that they can perform dangerous stunts that we might all have to pay some price for when someone crashes and splits open his melon. It might be the guy who shot the other guy and his wife and kids because; just because. It could be the guy who’d had enough of the pressures of urban life and decided to kill himself by jumping in front of a BART train and the thousands of people who got pissed off because he was so inconsiderate to put them out by offing himself like that. Or maybe it’s a bunch of old guys in San Francisco who feel ill-used because the law says that they can’t loll around butt nekkid with their dangling aged old scrotums sweeping the ground for all to see at some outdoor tables at a coffee house on a major city street.  And so as the wife and I watch these stories, agape and amazed I turn to her and ask, “And you wonder why in the hell I want to move to the country?”  And she responds, “Go ahead, I’ll visit you.”  As the days and the madness; the stupidity and the outrageousness continue, I’m thinking she might need to invest in an overnight bag.

3 comments:

  1. You couldn't have picked a better song to lead off with than Guy Clark's classic. The whole song, he nailed it about the difference between the massive sprawling L.A. and a rural or semi-rural existence. It also nails it regarding the Grand Canyon that exists at home for you about where home will be in a few years.

    Some people love cities completely. Los Angeles is not a city, it's a city state like Sparta and Athens. Thomas Jefferson believed the United States was better off being a conglomeration of city states. He would have choked on those words if he could have seen L.A.

    Those who love the city life usually don't feel the same about the country. They may have a place in the country, maybe Shasta or Clear Lake, but they can only take so much of the rural life before they get it out of their system and get back "home" to the city or the suburbs. Rarely is the situation that people live in the country and have a summer place in the city.

    I'm in the process of having done the Green Acres deal, sort of. I moved from the Bay Area, where I'd lived continuously for 45 years. I lived in San Francisco, the Peninsula between S.F. and the South Bay, otherwise known as Silicon Valley. I lived in the South Bay and, for far too short a time considering the people and black dog I lived with, in the East Bay. I was born on the East Coast and have lived in 6 or 7 states. Now I'm living in a new state, Oregon. Southern Oregon, where many people call it the state of Jefferson.

    I've been here for almost 2 months, so it's too short a time to tell how I'll feel about it. I'm not totally unpacked and as such feel unsettled. So far I have found good and not good about it. The county in which I live and work has a population equal to that of the city east of S.F. Bay in which I worked. My commute in the East Bay was 55 miles or so and it took between 1 and 2 hours to do it, depending on the traffic nightmares or if it was a day for public transit. My commute now is 2.3 miles and is less than 15 minutes. To get from where I am in Medford to the northern part of town is about 6 miles, 13 to Ashland. Grants Pass is 30 miles away. The difference in commute and the relative proximity of everything is a huge change for the better. Your description of the East Bay commute gives any reader a good sense of what it is like. The aggravation, the frustration, the draining of energy and good feelings.

    There are some things here that are the same as Bay Area cities and towns. Many of the ubiquitous fast food chains are represented, some times within spitting distance of each other. Anyone who loves the variety of ethnic restaurants and supermarkets in the Bay Area will not find them hereabouts.

    There is a reason for the lack of quantity and quality of ethnic restaurants. Unlike the Bay Area, Jackson County in Oregon is almost totally populated by white folks. There are some Latinos, a few African-Americans, fewer Asians. I am nowhere close to getting used to this homogeneous population. The broad ethnic diversity of the Bay Area is such that it becomes almost unnoticeable after a while of living there. I don't know if the lack of diversity will become unnoticeable for me.

    The difference in lifestyle in a small city compared to an area of large urban sprawl is comparable to the difference of opinion of you and Cora. There is no right and there is no wrong, it's just a difference in likes and dislikes.

    What will be very interesting is my first visit back to the Bay Area. I'm already sensing that I'll be like my parents were. When they would come visit the Bay Area, they quickly got antsy to leave. I'll probably be that way, glad to get back to an area where snow-dusted mountains are easily visible about a half mile from my front door.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you’re correct; there is no right or wrong. I know someone who moved from Placerville to the LA Basin where she grew up. Couldn’t wait to get there. I can’t fathom that. Even living in the San Francisco Bay Area I can’t fathom moving to LA; and that has nothing to do with the regional rivalry.

      I get it about the lack of diversity but frankly would I even note the difference? We have a Filipino family on one side, a black family on the other. We have another Filipino family directly across the street that is bracketed by Vietnamese families. Just up the road we have a Hispanic family. And we’re all Balkanized. At best we usually exchange a nod. So what does the ethnic flavor really matter. I know that moving to the country I would experience the dearth of ethnic businesses and restaurants. Meh. I rarely take note of color or ethnicity in daily life. We all simply pass each other by, again, with a nod at most.

      A move like this would be roughest on my wife of course. Being Filipina she would miss that interaction and of course this is probably a large part of her reluctance, or more precisely refusal. It could be rough being the only Filipino in Pinedale. On the plus side she could make a fortune selling lumpia.

      Delete
    2. About the lack of diversity, I think you would notice the difference. We have lived for decades in the Bay Area, a true melting pot of cultures and ethnic groups. We became used to it to the point where, as you mentioned, we rarely take note of color or ethnicity. Being in an area which is the opposite is jarring to the senses. A few days ago a Filipina was in the library and it was as noticeable as someone naked at a church service (ok, that wouldn't be noticeable in the Castro).

      The missus making a fortune selling lumpia isn't much of a stretch. She and her sister could set up shop and turn some serious coin. There are enough vacant small stores hereabouts that it would probably be financially easy to rent one. I know the likelihood of her/them doing it is as likely as our old roomie from Ohio becoming a spokesman for the LGBT community but still...

      Delete