Saturday, March 2, 2013

Reading America


But he is not always alone.  When the long winter nights come on and the wolves follow the meat into the lower valleys, he may be seen running at the head of the pack through the pale moonlight or glimmering borealis, leaping gigantic above his fellows, his great throat a-bellow as he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack.  (From Jack London’s, The Call of the Wild.)



With the story finished my dad snapped the book shut and said goodnight leaving with me a lonely sadness; as if I’d been dropped in some desolate way station between the Yukon and home.  I was saddened that the story had ended.  For a series of nights I’d been transfixed by the story of the dog Buck; transported by London’s words to the cold, rugged Yukon.  And in the moments after each session, when darkness enveloped my room and before drifting off, I tried to imagine what life in that bleak and unforgiving environment must have been like.  And still the end of that story brought an epiphany (even though I’d no idea what the word meant); I was hooked on books. 

I still remember the book itself; blue, hardbound, a picture of a howling wolf on the cover.  The book stayed in my possession until my early twenties and then stayed at my parents’ house until the house was sold and I was forced to donate most of its contents; the book with it.  In my haste of sorting through things I didn’t stop to think of the meaning that book would come to hold some 25 years later. 

I have to admit to carrying on an intimate relationship with books.  I cherish and respect the ideals and importance of the written word; of putting ideas and imagination to paper and to make them available to all.  My dad imbued in me the power of the written word.  It’s for this reason that when spring cleanup comes around books don’t get tossed, they get donated; even the trashiest drivel gets donated either to the library or a rummage sale. 

Book giant Barnes and Noble plans to close one third of its stores over the coming decade.  That comes to about 20 stores a year compared with non-existent growth to offset the losses (Barnes and Noble opened only two new stores during the last fiscal year). The news took me back to the disappointment of a couple of years ago and the collapse of Borders.  Barnes and Noble insists it will remain viable but so does every business just before it bolts the last door. 

Books have been dear to me; inanimate friends and teachers that have spirited me away to Huck Finn’s Mississippi River, the streets of Ancient Rome and the battlegrounds of Gettysburg, Iwo Jima and Verdun; brought me face to face with the likes of Lincoln, Marx, Churchill and Mark Twain.  They’ve stimulated fancy and been a source of inspiration.

Bookstores are my seductress.  In my late teens I would hop in my Chevy Nova, pop Steppenwolf into the cassette deck and drive the 15 miles to Kepler’s Books, a venerable independent in Menlo Park, near the Stanford University Campus.  Founded in 1955 it became a landmark and center for liberal thought, attracting the counterculture and the likes of Joan Baez and The Grateful Dead.  Pressured by chain bookstores Kepler’s closed its doors in August of 2005 only to reopen two months later, buoyed by protests and a groundswell of support from volunteers, private donations and investments by the local community. 

In the seventies and early eighties when I worked in Downtown San Francisco, I often spent my lunch hour at Stacy’s Books on Market Street.  Stacy’s claim to fame was its collection of technical publications in the basement floor.  And, like other independents, it had an eclectic selection that set it apart from the pop collections of the chain bookstores.  Two years ago I found myself on Market Street, needing to kill time and I decided that Stacy’s would be just the place.  Sadly it was gone; 85 years young.
  
When Cora and I were newly married we lived a few short blocks from Berkeley’s Telegraph Avenue and many were the evenings that I left my bride alone while I would browse for hours at Cody’s Books.  The landmark book seller in many ways embodied the power of the written word.  In 1968 it served as a first aid station for anti-war protesters who’d been teargassed and clubbed.  When Salman Rushdie’s Satanic Verses was pulled from shelves worldwide due to bomb threats, Cody’s refused to be censored and was firebombed.  Refusing to be cowed Cody’s continued to sell the book after the firebombing.  What Muslim radicals couldn’t accomplish a downturn in sales did and after 52 years in business Cody’s closed for good.

When the local Borders held its closing sale I visited to pick up some bargains and felt soiled for it, as if I were looting the chilling body of a dying man.  I chalked up Borders’ collapse to a combination of pressure from the burgeoning e-books and my own notion that by and large America is a nation of illiterates. As it turned out Borders imploded by being its own worst enemy; doomed by a business plan that relied on unsustainable megastores.

Sadly it turns out that while Borders may have committed suicide by poor marketing my own notion about why bookstores are failing might not be far from the mark.  I stumbled across a study titled To Read or Not to Read, by The National Endowment of the Arts that found a decline in literary reading by Americans of all ages.  The study found that:
      Over a 10 year period the percentage of adults who read a book for pleasure dropped by 7%.
      Less than one-third of 13 year olds read daily and the percentage of 17 year olds who read nothing for pleasure has doubled over 20 years from 9% to 19%.
     15 to 24 years olds spend on average 7-10 minutes per day reading while they spend 2 – 2 ½ hours per day watching TV.
     The percentage of 18 to 24 year olds reading literature has declined by nearly 20% over a 20 year period from 60% to 23%. 

A few years ago I discovered Cormac McCarthy’s works.  I was enthralled by his stories of the American Southwest.  Years before I discovered McCarthy I came upon Yukio Mishima.  Their stories toy with your emotions, make your pulse race and tear your heart.  It’s disheartening to know that the likes of Cormac McCarthy, Phillip Roth and Toni Morrison are being upstaged by mind melting offerings like; Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, The Housewives of Whereverthehellthey’refrom, Swamp People and Honey Boo Boo.  And really, why should I care?

Why indeed.  The NEA study cites correlations between Americans’ aversion to reading and its effects on society.   Like anything else, to be good at reading you need to practice it, in order to comprehend what’s placed in front of you.  Poor reading comprehension is a drain on productivity.
      38% of employers find high school graduates “deficient” in reading comprehension, while 63% rate this basic skill “very important.”
      "Written communications” tops the list of applied skills found lacking in high school and college graduates alike.
      One in five U.S. workers read at a lower skill level than their job requires.
      Remedial writing courses are estimated to cost more than $3.1 billion for large corporate employers and $221 million for state employers.

But I don’t need to look at a study.  The symptoms are evident on a daily basis. Reading begets writing and if you don't read it reflects in your writing.  And so I get a flood of emails with misspelled words and usage that would give a fourth grade English teacher a case of indigestion.  At times throughout my career I've been tasked with reviewing resumes.  It can be like reading the collected works of the undead. 

But beyond the cold business aspects, the problem is a sad reflection of where our society has arrived at, and, even more distressing, where it’s headed.  Sitting in waiting rooms or on public transportation I see fewer people with a book and more people engaged in Angry Birds or Farmville.  Why view the turbulent 1930’s through the prose of Steinbeck when you can harvest virtual wheat on your mobile device? 

Pardon my cynicism but this is going to get worse before it gets better; if it ever does get better.  Today’s young adults are birthing the next generation and each generation has shown itself to be worse than its predecessor.  Can we hope that young parents will turn off the idiot box, pack up the video games and actually read to their children?  Hope is about all that we have but it seems that this is an avalanche with no bottom of the mountain in view. 

I've since bought another copy of The Call of the Wild.  I've read it a couple of times in the last few years.  London’s words still carry me to the bleak Yukon and when I arrive at the end of the story I feel the same let down that I did when I was a young child and my dad thwacked the blue cover shut.  I close my copy and remember that little blue volume and what a lasting impression it left.  

9 comments:

  1. Those figures make for sad reading - the same is happening here in the UK. I feel incredibly sorry for those people who will never lose themselves in a book, who will never be carried by amazing authors to other times and places. Personally, I'd be lost without books. I have over 5000 and love every single one. Sometimes, I have to get rid of some, (and they always go to friends or charity) but they're soon replaced. I've learnt so much from books and I can't do without them. Since my parents (God bless them) got me hooked on Beatrix Potter as a very young child, I have never stopped reading. And I never want to.

    Such a good post to read - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janey, Thank you for the kind words.
      I'm not surprised that the same is happening in the UK. Not because it's the UK but because you could probably plug those figures into most nations - especially those in which TV and video games have metasticized into the social body. As Craig points out in his comment below video games are approachable. My son, who has found a happy medium between gaming and reading (he reads some pretty scholarly stuff) would admonish me not to blame video games. It is an argument tantamount to the popular saying in the US that "guns don't kill people; people kill people." True enough but guns make it a darn sight easier just as video games make dumbing down a darn sight easier as well.

      Delete
  2. Ah, sorry, Paul. I only made it three lines in. When is the video coming out so I can finish your story? Abridged or Reader's Digest versions will be even better.
    Just kidding!
    Reading has been proven to develop children's brains, powers of speech, and overall intellect. But, video games are much more approachable - are they not? In fact, there is a phenomenon becoming apparent when many young men, as they should be converting to adult life/marriage, are spending hours gaming. They not only do not read, they do not interact with their families and their relationships are negatively effected.
    Bemoaning these trend, if that's what they are, is, however, pointless. I think 'simple' people have always been out there and 'simple', whether they drank in bars or watched vaudeville, or read penny-trash tabloids. The percentage of persons who get-it - who read and value doing so - has probably always been in the minority. Pity, yes. Human nature, probably another yes.
    On a positive note, I like To Build a Fire more than Call of the Wild, personally. Also, I'm on a crusade to get all readers to re-read 1984. High school was a lousy time to read such a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, Thank you, I think, for making the news worse regarding video gaming - although it really isn't news. At one time I spent an inordinate amount of time playing video games. I stopped because I wasn't very good at it. But is serves as a reminder of those years when I couldn't loosen my grip on adolesence
      Agreed that bemoaning these trends is pointless; hence my comparison to an avalanche with no bottom in sight. I have this faint, flickering hope that I'll reach someone. Hello?! Is anybody listening?
      I used to be a book snob. If you read romance novels you might just as well be watching TV; right? I moved past that. Just read something. If you graduate from Jacqueline Susann to Dickens then so much the better.
      I'm on a similar crusade for people to re-read Great Expectations and Moby Dick. High school is a lousy time to read those.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite of your posts, in large part because reading it felt as if I were reading my own thoughts and words. Your dad reading to you reminded me of my mom reading to me. When I was enrolled in first grade in Virginia, my mom met with my teacher during one of those first day of school open houses. Mom told me that when the teacher talked of introducing the kids to very basic reading skills, she told the teacher that I already knew how to read. The teacher probably thought "Yeah, sure he can". When it came time for the first parent-teacher conference, the teacher excitedly told Mom "Scott can already read!", to which Mom replied "That's what I told you when we first met".

    You and I are of the same mind about the power of books and how many of them become inanimate friends. For me, the best books are those that transport me to other times and places. Some years back, I had been on a search in pre-Internet days for "The Nazi Olympics", about the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I finally found a copy in a used bookstore in Palo Alto. I was thrilled, only to be let down after reading it. It was written like a poorly written textbook, dry and not at all interesting. A few years ago another book came out on the subject. It is now on my books to read list, a Microsoft Word document that is over 20 pages long.

    Kepler's was and is great, as was Cody's. I remember the first time I was in City Lights in San Francisco; quirky and with that great musty smell of used books intermingling with the smell of new books. That's why I'm not interested in Kindles. The tactile feel of a print book is much more interesting to me than reading it on an electronic device. It is a damned shame that bookstore chains are closing. Remember B.Dalton's? Another distant memory, that.

    The statistics you quoted on the dumbing down of America are frightening but not unexpected. As a public librarian, I see many times during each work day the lack of basic literacy and literary intelligence of the average citizen. Almost daily I am asked by some nitwit "Is fiction true or not true?" It takes great restraint not to pull a Moe Howard and give those people two in the eyes. Multiple times each day I deal with high school or college students who are too brainless to look up a book in the catalog computers we have all over the library. I don't look up the books for them, I take them to the catalogs and show them how to look up what they seek. Damned if I'll do it for them, that would be doing their homework for them and not doing them any favors.

    Here are some other examples. A mother asked me where to find "Traveling to the middle of the Earth by Julius Vernies". When I told her that it was actually A Journey to the Center of the Earth and the author was Jules Verne, she haughtily attempted to tell me she had it correct. It was all I could do not to damn her eyes. There was the woman seeking Great Expectations by Richard Dickson. When I said through clenched teeth "The author was Charles Dickens", she giggled and said "I guess so". She was a college student. Not to mention the multitudes who are too simple minded to figure out the Dewey Decimal System. I figured it out in third grade and I am nowhere near being a math whiz.

    You're right about seeing few people with books in waiting rooms, trains, buses, etc. They're more interested in their shitty little cell phones and their idiotic text messages. People frequently tell me at the library how they don't read and seem to be proud of it. Country's going to hell.

    I like Janey's comment on this post from the UK. She said "I have never stopped reading and I never want to". Well said, Janey, and I am in total agreement with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the positive side she was looking for Verne. I wouldn't be too harsh about the students not being able to look up a book. It could be that they weren't taught. When I was in grade school we were brought to the school library and taught to use the card catalog. I'm guessing that the schools lack both the resources and the time to do that sort of thing; budget cuts you know.
      While I agree about the tactile feel and the smell of a book, I also own a Kindle. It comes in quite handy for it's light weight and the fact that I can adjust the font size making it perfect for bringing to the gym when I'm on the stationary bike. I recently found that it brings some works to the public for a very low cost or even for free. I recently downloaded some works by William Dean Howells for free. There is the irony that if you can afford a Kindle you should be able to afford to buy the book.
      The downside to the Kindle is that I find it most suitable for fiction. I recently read The Wars of Afghanistan which contains a number of maps and some names that are at times difficult to remember and sort out as one reads the book. A print book is easily bookmarked with an old baseball card and that bookmark is easy to go back to. Not so much with the Kindle.

      Delete
    2. Since I don't go to gyms or ride stationary bikes or travel, the obvious good points of a Kindle don't make it a good reading option for me. I'm guessing Contra Costa library has Overdrive for using a Kindle. I thought Overdrive had a decent selection of genres.

      I am glad that it is likely that when the printed book finally goes the way of the Edsel, I'll be gone also. I don't think I want to live in a world where printed books are no longer produced and are seen as sort of a quaint novelty.

      As for using a baseball card for a bookmark, do you use good players for good books and humpties for the books that aren't good? Steve Carlton for Twain and Duke Carmel for anything by Dr.Phil, notorious for his psychiatric Pez dispenser.

      Delete
    3. Scott, I don't see print books going away for some time to come. I do see the appreciation of books (print or digital) continuing to decline. I believe that print books will still be around when our grandchildren are our age.
      What I see as a possibility is the actual resurgence of independent book sellers. Clearly the chains are not able to withstand the pressures of e readers and the decline of reading so they don't make for a good corporate business model. This might just create an niche for the independents.
      I always use humpties as bookmarks and they are usually NBA cards.

      Delete
  4. Ah, Great Expectations! Portable property, Pip, that's the ticket.

    ReplyDelete